Saturday, May 16, 2009

Google Site Reflections

1. What do you see as the potential benefits of Google Sites and/or other website development systems for you as a teacher?



I think it would be great to be able to post assignments there, make up work, announcements, and everything you do in class. I think it brings you more on a student's level of technology, not that I'll ever completely be there, and shows that you aren't so different. I also think it's a great way to involve parent's in the class. The website link could be sent to the parent's so if they choose they can always know what is going on. They can't say they didn't know and the student can't say that either. I know they will still but at least there is proof of what was available. It's just such and easy way to communicate! Plus you can post pictures and get the students involved in the website by seeing what they can contribute with new tools or easier ways to do something.


2. What do you see as the potential drawbacks of Google Sites and/or other website development systems for you as a teacher?



One of the drawbacks is that it's a lot of work when you aren't sure what you are doing! I think it could be very overwhelming as a first year teacher trying to do the website, the technology in the classroom, lesson plans, classroom management, all of it the first year could make you cry on the way home from work.

I also think that it may be a drawback for students who don't have ready access to a computer at home. It could make it hard on them but as long as the information is made available in class it should cover that.


3. Do you plan to have a class website? Why or why not? If so, what would you include on that website? Why?



Yes! I think it is so awesome. I know it will be a lot of work but I think the advantages far out weigh the disadvantages. I love the way it is so easy to update on the computer compared to having students cross out on their syllabus or handing out new ones. It can be announced in class and posted on the website. I think involving students in the website is a great way to get them to help you. They get to share their knowledge and show off some off their skills and everyone benefits from that.

1 comment: