Saturday, May 16, 2009

Google Tools Reflection

Aahhh! I totally forgot about this until now.
I have to say that all the tools in a list like this make me dizzy. They are all really cool but since I'm just learning how to use most of them it's overwhelming.


Documents
I like the google documents because they're saved on the google site and it records the time and all that, meaning that no one can use the excuse of I lost it or the sort. I like it for myself because I can't lose things or fry flash drives with personal assignments and I really hate all the paper that is wasted on assignments.

Presentations
I've only done presentations in powerpoint before but I like them way better than just writing lectures on the board or just doing them orally.

Spreadsheets
I like spreadsheets to keep track of all kinds of things. You can do math and organize things in it and it's just another good tool to learn how to use for all kinds of things.

Forms
I've never used forms so I'm not really sure how much I will like it or apply it, but it sounds cool.

Calendar
I really like calendar because of the ability to create a bunch of different ones and not having to see everything at once. I think it would be good for students to keep track of class assignments for all their classes. I also like how it changes for all the places that it's imported to from the main page.

iGoogle
I really like iGoogle! What a great way for me to get organized and start teaching your students how to get organized. I think a lot of times unorganized people just don't know how to be up on things because we don't have the tools that work for us.

Blogger
At first I didn't think that I would use blogger but the more I think about it the more I like it for reflection type assignments. I think it's not as intimidating as telling a student to write a paragraph on what you thought. Blogging it makes it more fun than just a paper pencil activity and once again it saves paper and can't be lost!

Reader
Well if I'm going to use all these on line writing gadgets I'll definitely have to use something to read them all. It would be a living nightmare to have to go through each students separately.

Google Maps and Google Earth
I love both of these! I think that they are going to be so incrediably awesome to teach with and I think my students will really get into it.

Groups
This is so great for group projects, which I personally have always hated because of having to make time to get together. Groups totally fixes that problem plus the color coding for each student is such a great idea.

Google Search Engine
I think this is great for getting students to look at only certain material. It would take awhile to set up intially but would be easy to maintain.

Notebook
I've never used notebook but I love that it's online and can't be lost!

Scholar
I like scholar because when you just do a normal search a lot of stuff turns up that can't be used in school or isn't really academically useful. It really helps to narrow down searches. I just used it for another class and I think it would be good in helping students see the difference in the way the searches turn out.

I really want to try and use all of these things. I'm not sure if I'll be able to but I may end up learning a lot from my students by trying to. I think by trying to move foward in technology and learn new things a teacher has a better connection with students. Plus I think that trying new things is very important to learning because that's kind of what it's all about. If I'm willing to tackle things that I don't know in technology it might make my students more willing to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment